Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cameron Recommends: Disney's Frozen

That's right. I'm an adult recommending a kids movie. Want to know why? Simply put, it is beautiful, not to mention hilarious. This movie has it all. But before I get ahead of myself, let's give it a little summary.

Frozen is loosely based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson, "The Snow Queen". This is a very lose basis, as the original story is much darker, and has some strange things in it. The story revolves around two princesses (also sisters), Elsa and Anna. Elsa, the older sister, is born with magic and can create snow and ice. After an accident, Anna forgets that Elsa has these powers and the king and queen think it best to hide from everyone, including Anna, that Elsa has magic within her. After some unfortunate events, Elsa accidentally freezes the entire kingdom in an eternal winter and it's up to Anna to find a way to change it all back. I found it interesting that Walt Disney tried to come up with a way to tell "The Snow Queen" and couldn't make it work, so it was never made during his time. Actually, Disney animation studios has tried several times to figure out how to make this story work, but it wasn't until recently that they found a story that worked. And folks, it works.

The music in this movie was fantastic, some of the best Disney has ever made. Just check out this video of Idina Menzel (who plays Elsa) singing "Let it Go". Goosebumps. I love a movie that sucks me in and helps me to feel some of the emotions of the characters. That happened in this movie, several times actually, and I normally don't get emotional. The humor in this film is also fantastic. Olaf the snowman is one of the funniest sidekicks Disney has ever animated. His song is one of the funniest moments in the movie.
Then there is the satire. Absolute genius. I don't want to spoil anything, but one of the best/funniest moments in the film comes when one of the characters totally makes fun of all Disney princess movies. Oh my, so funny.

So go see this film. It will brighten your lives for a little while, like it did for me.

1 comment:

Shantel said...

I can't wait to see it! Glad that you recommend it.I've heard good things - but it's always nice to know that another adult enjoys it as well.