Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cameron Recommends: Angels and Demons

With the Christmas break I have had a more time to myself than usual. This translates into more reading, more TV and, believe it or not, more blog writing. Today I'll be reviewing one of the books that I have read during the break; Angels and Demons.

My friend, Kyle Dority, is a Dan Brown fan. He is also a reader. A couple of weeks ago, he mentioned that he'd be spending a couple of weeks in Dubai during the break (lucky jerk) and that he wanted something good to read. Without hesitation I offered my paperback copies of the Mistborn Trilogy, one of my favorite series of all time (I did a Cameron Recommends about it a few months ago, check it out). He felt like he ought to return the favor, so he lent me 3 of his Dan Brown books. He told me to start with Angels and Demons. After school got out and at the tail end of a week with the flu, I decided to pick the book up.

I have recently read a lot of fantasy novels, which makes sense seeing as how that is what I normally read. The last fantasy book I read was somewhat hard for me to get into, even though I really liked. What I hadn't realized was I needed just a good piece of fiction to help freshen up fantasy again. This book satisfied that need, and man did I enjoy it. Now, I must confess that I saw the film and so certain plot twists of the book had already been revealed to me. I really wish that they hadn't, I feel it would have made the book so much better. However, I knew what to look for. Even knowing the basic plot the author had me second guessing myself. At a couple of points I thought to myself "Hmm, am I remembering the film right" or "Maybe they didn't follow the book that well, lots of movies don't". You know that is good, thrilling writing when that happens.

Time for a quick synopsis of the story. Robert Langdon is a professor of symbology and history at Harvard University. He is in his forties and is an active swimmer. Early in the morning he receives an urgent phone call and fax with an ancient, never before seen symbol, the Brand of an dead society whose purpose was to bring down Christianity.  Langdon has written books about this group and even theorized as to what their brands would look like, but nobody in living history has seen them. It appears that this dead society isn't as dead as the world was lead to believe. The ensuing adventure is one of hidden clues, dark purposes, and murder. (Pretty good setting huh? makes you want to go read it)

I really did enjoy this book and I recommend it. One other note on the film. I really didn't like the movie, the twist felt contrived and didn't make a whole lot of sense. The book, on the other hand, makes the twist make a TON more sense and gives the ending a lot more weight.

Thoughts, comments, jokes? Let me know in the comments. Also remember to follow.

No comments: