Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Origin of Muffins


So i am here at work and i am seriously craving a muffin. I like muffins. They make me happy. Though i don't like them enough to consider myself the MuffinMan, I still have this deep craving for them. So in my efforts to think of something else i decided to research the origin of muffins.
Some initial research proved fruitless. The best i could find was this from encyclopedia.com

muffin (dial.) wheat- or oat-cake; flat spongy cake eaten toasted and buttered. XVIII. of unkn. orig.

I think the unkn orig means they are of unknown origin. More research showed that muffin recipes started appearing in the 18th century. Then i found out that there are three states which have "State Muffins". Minnesota has adopted the blueberry muffin as the official state muffin. Massachusetts in 1986 adopted the Corn Muffin as the official state muffin. Then in 1987 New York took on the Apple Muffin as its official muffin of choice. Why would a state need a state muffin? Are there even 50 kinds of muffins? And shouldn't some southern state like Alabama have the corn muffin? Anyways i am going to go buy a muffin . . . . .

5 comments:

Celeste Louise said...

i think Nebraska should have the corn muffin. and i want the chocolate chip muffin as my state muffin. fat joke ;)

Shantel Elise said...

You have too much time on your hands. This is a sign that the semester should now start full swing and more likely than not BURY you under its course load.


I am a little upset about the fact that School Killed Summer.

The End.

ps. I like muffins too.

Chess said...

Hello! I found your blog! And now I'm hungry for muffins too. My favorite are almond poppyseed. :)

Kelsha said...

Cameron? I did not know you had a blog. Also I would worry about the lack muffin flavors. Their is such a variety of muffins that I'm sure we could scrounge enough for everyone..depending on if we counted the egg mcmuffin and perhaps muffin top cereal in the mix..

Tayna said...

Hmm, well I dibs Arizona has the chocolate chip muffin! Haha! :D