Friday, July 29, 2011

Cameron Recommends: The Simpsons


Oh yeah, that is right, I am writing in the blog again, for second week in a row, and all you doubters thought that I'd go back to the pattern of once every 9 months. Well, you were wrong. HA!
This week on Cameron Recommends I'd like to talk about one of my absolute favorite shows in television history, The Simpsons. I apologize beforehand in that this will be a rather long one with plenty of back story. If you'd like to just get to the
reasons why I recommend this then skip to the last paragraph.

The Simpsons, TVs favorite dysfunctional family and my all time favorite cartoon

series ever. I have been watching the Simpsons for as long as I can remember. Mind you the series aired in 1989 when I was 5 years old. My family loved the show and we watched it every week. Why, might you ask, was my family so interested in the show from the start? Because Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson along with Rod Flanders, Nelson Muntz and Ralph Wiggum, went to Fairmount High School in Kettering Ohio with my dad. Yep, it's my one and only claim to fame. She sends us Christmas cards and even wrote me while I was serving on my mission. She is very cool and does a lot of charity work including a program for terminally ill children where she calls them on the telephone with Bart's voice and talks to kids. So from the beginning when my dad realized that someone he knew was going to be on TV he was committed to supporting her, and we loved it.

Now to address some issues that people have with my beloved show. Many people have
expressed the opinion that my parents were irresponsible for letting me watch the Simpsons as a kid. In the early 90's there was a crusade of sorts against the Simpsons. Many kids that I knew growing up were not allowed to watch the show. However, these same parents would allow their kids to watch Friends with them. Let me pose you a little question, would you rather your kids watch a show where people are constantly sleeping with other people and where sexual innuendos reign supreme or a show about a family that stays together despite being a dysfunctional?


The negative press that the Simpsons got in the beginning of their season was an overreaction to Bart being an "underachiever and proud of it". Reporters said that Bart was a bad influence on kids and that children who were allowed to watch the Simpsons would grow up to be like Bart. Well I watched the Simpsons religiously as a kid and I'm on my way to earning a PhD in biological engineering and I am a fully active member of the LDS church, so there. If anyone reading this was as a kid forbidden to watch the Simpsons I strongly urge you to grab a couple of episodes from season 2-9 and realize how strong of a family the Simpsons are. Homer and Marge are a faithful couple who got married before their first child is born. Homer works to provide for the family and Marge is a caring stay at home mom who encourages her children. The family has nightly meals at the dinner table together and go to events and vacations together. Enough with that rant, sorry.

So why do I recommend the Simpsons? Simply put it is funniest show I've ever had the pleasure to watch. The Simpsons is the best example of social satire I've ever seen. The writers had a firm grasp on what was going on in society and made fun of it in fantastic form. I've seen most of the episodes from the first 12 seasons a couple of times and I still find myself laughing out loud. Now a word of opinion, I own the first 12 seasons of the Simpsons. After season 12 I personally feel that the Simpsons declined in quality and originality. So in reality this recommendation is for the Simpsons seasons 1-12. The Simpsons golden years were from 3-9 as this is where I feel the show really was in its stride. Seasons 10-12 are great but there are some dud episodes. And while I feel that there are plenty of stand out episodes in later seasons, the overall quality of the show declined. I doubt I will buy those other seasons. However, I highly, highly, highly recommend the Simpsons seasons 1-12 to anyone who loves to laugh. Here are just a couple of my favorite episodes: Cape Fear (well any Sideshow Bob episode really), Bart the Fink, You only Move Twice, and The City of New York vs Homer.

Thanks everyone and enjoy! Oh and feel free to comment if you agree or disagree with me on this.

1 comment:

Seth R. Hawkins said...

I was one of those kids whose parents wouldn't let him watch The Simpsons. Consequently, it was the one show I always wanted to watch. I would watch it whenever my parents were running errands during the time it aired. As an adult, I enjoy watching it whenever I can. I find it to be fantastic satire and think the reason many freaked out about it was they didn't get the fact that it was satire cloaked in cartoon format. Sadly, most "cartoons" today are far worse than Simpsons ever was and not half as funny. Thanks for sharing.